Full Job Description
Wage: $20 per hour, not including overtime
This is a temporary position with the potential to become permanent depending on performance.
As a general laborer with Western Landscape you will be an essential part of the team, working hand in hand with Foremen and Lead hands, you will take their instruction and play a critical role seeing our projects constructed from the ground up. Coming to work on time, having a strong work ethic, and being a strong team player will all contribute to the success of our projects. Like any and all positions within Western a dedication to a safe and healthy work environment is of utmost importance. General laborers will help with the construction of our projects through manual labor, use of hand tools, machinery and hard work. When a position is available a general laborer may transition to a snow removal crew in the winter months.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintenance Duties (pruning, weeding, watering, fertilizing and other gardening maintenance duties at various sites around Edmonton and area.)
- General Labor Duties (Landscape construction including paving stone and retaining wall installation, rough and final grading, sodding, rock and mulch bed installation, tree, shrub and perennial planting, boulder installation, fence and deck installation, irrigation system installation, landscape lighting and general labor)
- Machine Operation (Driving Company vehicles, including truck and dump trailers, Skidsteers, concrete saws or vermeers)
- Perform duties and tasks related to snow removal during the winter months ( if position and work is available) including shoveling, use of back pack blowers, snow blowers, sweepers and other machinery.
On days disrupted by weather, you will have the option of taking the day off, or performing the following duties:
- Operational duties (data entry)
- Shop Work (miscellaneous clean up and maintenance on machinery, if required.)
- 1-year previous landscape experience considered an asset
- Strong dedication to health and safety
- Machine experience considered an asset
- Physically fit
- Ability to work long hours
- Conform to fluid scheduling and changing hours.
- Safety first mindset
Performance Output Requirements:
- meeting demands set out by foreman’s or lead hands
- conducting oneself in a professional manner at all times
- commitment to working safely and following all safety guidelines
- working with landscape crews to complete projects on time.
Normal Working Hours (Summer May 1-Oct 31)
-7am-5pm Mondays to Friday (hours can vary)
-7am-4pm Saturdays (hours can vary), Sundays off
Normal Working Hours (Winter Nov 1-April 30)
-6am-2pm Mondays to Fridays (hours can vary due to snowfalls)
-7am-12pm Saturdays and Sundays (hours can vary due to snowfalls)
-Overnights may occur on heavy snowfalls.
Days off Per Week – Sundays and Statutory Holidays (unless on call due to snowfalls in the Wintertime)
Benefits – Bi-weekly physio options
Holiday Schedule – 2 weeks notice for requested days off, 2 weeks vacation after 1 year of service, Western preference is 1 week per 6 months, employees can take vacation days how they see fit.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00-$21.00 per hour
- Overtime pay
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
- landscaping: 1 year (preferred)
- general labour: 1 year (preferred)
- Class 5 Licence (preferred)