Standard General Inc. Edmonton is has an open career opportunity for a Controller. The successful candidate will have a proven ability to manage and maximize return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls, and systems. They will also be responsible for leading the finance team and engaging with various company initiatives such as ethics, strategic planning and the Goal Zero safety culture.
- Leadership of company policies, procedures, guidelines and initiatives. This includes (but is not limited to) Ethics, Goal Zero safety culture initiatives, and SG Core Values of safety, growth, integrity, quality and collaboration.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits; providing information to external auditors.
- Maximizes return, and limits risk, on cash by minimizing bank balances; making investments.
- Prepares budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
- Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Complies with federal, provincial, and other legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Ensures operation of equipment by establishing preventive maintenance requirements and service contracts; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Leads and Manages Finance department personnel; involved with recruiting and onboarding; managing employee performance, coaching and progressive discipline.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge through continuous learning and development
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- 10 + years of progressively responsible accounting experience required; knowledge of road construction an asset
- Strong knowledge of accepted accounting rules, practices, tax laws, and reporting requirements
- Ability to develop, manage, and audit systems and processes
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of organization
- Strong computer literacy and ability to adapt and learn; proficiency with MS Office, Adobe, JD Edwards
- Critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Good organizational, time management, prioritizing skills and attention to detail; ability to organize work of others
- Good interpersonal skills for client / contractor relations
- Commitment to continuous growth and development of self and finance team
- Strong leadership/ management skills an asset
- Ability to travel as required
- Ability to meet pre-employment requirements, including drug, alcohol and fitness for work testing
- University Degree in Business/Accounting
- Professional Accounting Designation required
The above statements reflect the core duties and describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this role; other duties assigned may vary depending on the department requirements to which the position is assigned. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time as needed.
Standard General Inc. offers extensive professional growth opportunities, excellent wages with a comprehensive benefit package. This posting will only remain open until a suitable candidate is hired. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
- Email a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with title “Controller - July 2020”